Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice

 


Oh joy - a rooibos.


Ok, so sometimes rooibos can be tasty.... sometimes - but more often than not I lump it in with honeybush as a sad weak tea substitute that only makes me crave a real cup of tea.  There are some exceptions - I have a lovely rooibos blend in my regular stock called Party in the Jungle which is a delightful cup, and my friend Brian used to stock an absolutely FABULOUS rooibos chai with spicy chili in it that I could not get enough of - but those are the exceptions and not the norm when it comes to rooibos for me.  This name - African Solstice - tells me NOTHING.  Time to look at the write up.


Ok... now I'm full concerned.  Rose is such a strong flavor in tea for me.  Rose without a black tea to balance it... I would be tempted to skip this blend entirely except my roomate's girlfriend is down for the weekend and she likes florals.  So, I know if I don't like this, I can pass it on to her and she'll enjoy the hell out of it.

The color was mild - about what I expected.

The flavor.... was like sweetened rose scented setting powder had been dumped into hot water.  The taste didn't change on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th sips.  Rather than pour the rest down the drain I handed it to Jodie and she enjoyed sipping at the powdery flower water.


I ate the salted caramel shortbread to get the nasty taste out of my mouth.


Final thoughts:  I think it's disgusting, but clearly there's a market for this sort of thing with other people.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's