Vahdam Tea Advent Calendar: Day 9 - Assam Exotic Black Tea

 


Don't worry, you didn't miss a post - I skipped Day 8.  I promise I'll go back to it when I'm more in the mood for another turmeric blend.



So, a basic Assam - nothing to get my expectations up, but I expect it to be a nice late afternoon tea break.



Looking at the leaf though.... perhaps there is something here to get excited about?  Those are some nice golden tips I see there which implies that this might be a second flush Assam and not an early summer first flush.  I could look it up on the Vahdam website... but I'll steep it first.  The color alone will let me know if it's a first or second flush as first flush Assam is much golder in color and second flush is darker and redder.



Yup, we're definitely working with a second flush Assam.  Oh goodie!  Why am I excited?  Well, most basic inexpensive Assam is first flush - no golden tips, no deep reddish color.  The second flush is picked later in the season.  Because it has longer to soak in the heat of the summer and the early monsoon rains the second flush aroma and flavor is deeper and richer and - more delicious on my palate.


The aroma has a hint of cedar in the end note but the flavor is brisk, malty, deep, and nutty with a woody finish that matches that end note on the aroma.  The mouth feel is astringent enough that I don't want to drink it straight off the steep - but it's delicious enough that I only add a teaspoon of milk for my entire mug.  It could take a touch of sugar.... but instead of adding it to the tea, I decide to pair it with some Welsh Cakes that I have from The Welsh Baker - specifically sticky toffee pudding flavor as I think the spices and the dates will really compliment the depth of flavor of the Asssam.  After tasting them together, I realize that I am 100% correct in my assumption - the sweetness of the welsh cake and the rich fruit taste of the date is just PERFECT with this blend.

I spread a bit of butter on the top of these and it was perfection with the Assam


Final thoughts:  Uncomplicated, but quality and delicious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice