Vahdam Tea Advent Calendar: Day 7 - Sweet Himalayan Detox Green Tea

 


I honestly had no idea what to expect from this blend.



Based on the name alone, I thought perhaps something like the Day 1 Himalayan Green but... somehow.. sweet?



Looking at the blend in the spoon.... confused me.  There is a lot going on there.  I could identify the Green Tea of course, as well as the cardamom, and turmeric - but there is a leaf in there that isn't the green tea leaf that I couldn't identify, as well as chunks of root that puzzled me.  I thought maybe... mallow root?  I decided not to investigate until after tasting.


The color was... murkier than I expected.  It was almost the murk that I have come to expect from a pre-sweetened tea.  I assure you that my brow was quite furrowed as I stared and studied this during steeping.


Flavor - the first thing that assaulted my palate was SWEET.  Dear god the sweet!!  And it wasn't sugar sweet it was.... sugar free sweet?  It was such a powerful sweet that I couldn't taste AYTHING else on my first sip.  I got the top note of SWEET that carried itself all the way through until I got the aftertaste.... of stevia?

I was more confused than ever.

I took more sips until my palate was no longer in shock from the fake sweet.  The next flavor that hit me was... something akin to a bitter licorice or sassafras root, but not quite the flavor of either.  Next, I got a hint of turmeric THEN the actual green tea, then a nearly wintergreen mint flavor on the end note that again morphed into the stevia after taste.

I got half way through the cup before I finally had to just look up the company write up on the blend.  Turns out, the leaf I couldn't identify is actually stevia leaf.  So - one mystery solved.  The root is ashwagandha stem - which apparently is described to taste like "bitter dirt".  So, that explained the licorice/ sassafras like flavor I was getting. 

As the tea cools, the stevia and turmeric just get more and more dominant.


Final thoughts:  It doesn't make me gag.... but it is NOT for me.  My tongue is still tingling from the stevia leaf.  No.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 24 most listened to songs of 2024

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Calendar: Day 6 - Cherry Blossom