Vahdam Tea Advent Calendar: Day 6 - Sweet Cinnamon Spice Masala Chai

 


After Day 2's AMAZING Masala Chai, I was beyond excited to try this blend.

After all, the Masala Chai was stunning and I love a good Cinnamon tea as well.  I anticipated that the combination of the two would be divine.


When I opened to tin to give a sniff of the pre-steeped leaf.... I got my first hint that the combination might not be as magical as I hoped.  While the blend smells lovely and spicy.... there is something.... off balance about the fragrance.  Looking at the leaf I saw the cardamom, and the cinnamon...... and not a hint of clove or pepper.  Hrm....

 


I tasted this straight off the steep expecting that it would need milk, as most good chai does.  Straight off the steep it tasted far more like a pure cinnamon black tea than any sort of blend that I have come to think of as a spiced chai.  I added a bit of it and some milk to a tasting glass.... and still found it lacking.  It felt.... thin, and flat.  I added Italian Sweet cream in a tasting glass and found that the sugar in the sweet cream utterly overpowered the tea to the point where I felt as though I was drinking cinnamon sweet cream.  I added eggnog into another tasting glass and the blend finally had a bit of body.  I think the spices in the eggnog helped.... the nutmeg and such.  However, I nursed that thermos of tea at work for HOURS, and each time I took a sip I was jolted into confusion and dissatisfaction.


The tea wasn't BAD - but I seriously missed the clove and pepper.  It was rather like the tea equivalent of drinking flat soda.  Also, the cinnamon was ALWAYS on the mouth feel, drying out my tongue with every sip, but without the heavy spiciness I associate with having that much cinnamon in my blend. 


Final thoughts:  I'm sure some palates would find it a delicious blend as it is not at all disgusting.  My palate however finds it to be unforgivably bland, flat, and uninspiring.  I would not buy it again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice