Vahdam Tea Advent Calendar: Day 11 - Turmeric Ashwagandha Herbal Tea Tinsane


 This one was quite the surprise.  I made it late at night because a house guest was looking for a tea that would help her sore throat and this seemed like it might fit the bill.



As it is a Turmeric tinsane, I was predisposed to not like it.  I admit my prejudice against turmeric tinsanes.



This time, I knew that the little stick bits were ashwagandha and I prepared myself for the strange hybrid of licorice and sassafras.  Of course, I also looked and saw what I thought appeared to be lemongrass - but I waved that off as my culinary brain getting in the way of my tea brain, because of course lemongrass wouldn't be in a tea blend......



The color, of course, was yellow as hell thanks to the turmeric.  I expected nothing less.


The flavor - surprised the hell out of me.  Turmeric was NOT the dominant flavor for me!  Instead, it was almost a root beer sweet licorice top note with a black pepper finish and a lemongrass aftertaste. I mean... what the hell?  A few sips more and I could get the turmeric swirling around in the mid note as the turmeric built on my palate.  But still, it was sweet yet earthy licorice with a good spice level from the black pepper.  It was.... DELIGHTFUL!  I drank the whole cup and made happy purring noises the entire time.


After finishing my cup, I looked up the blend on the Vahdam website to discover that - my culinary brain had identified the lemongrass correctly.  Not to mention that my tongue hadn't twisted the ashwagandha into a stronger licorice flavor, but that in fact there was licorice proper in the blend.  Black pepper too.  I felt greatly vindicated.


Final thoughts:  Dear god, I've found a turmeric tinsane that I would voluntarily buy and keep on hand for calming/ healing pleasant drinking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice