Vahdam Tea Advent Calendar: Day 10 - Vanilla Spice Chai


 I am SOOOO glad that I did not drink this yesterday before the festival.



#1, because I did not need a reason to loose my spot near the front to use a nasty port-a-potty and #2, because this is an AMAZING festival hangover blend.  It is EXACTLY what I needed today.



Alright, back to the start - I was so happy when I opened this chai and could both see and smell the cloves and black pepper!



This is a lot like their India's Original Masala Chai from day 2 - but with added vanilla.  It is delicious - even when I overbrewed it on the first steep.  (yes, a sin, I realize that).  Even over steeped, the astringency was not overpowering (like so many types of chai can go when over steeped).  The mistake of over steeping DOES hide the vanilla a bit.  However, adding a touch of sweet condensed milk into the mug brought the vanilla right to the forefront of the flavour where it had a lovely party with the clove, pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom.   


Of note - I did a second steep on the leaves and got a cup even tastier than the first (probably because I didn't over steep the second cup!).  I added condensed milk again, but less of it to compensate for the lack of excess tanin.  Next time I make this, I might add a touch of mulling spice to see if I can make this taste even more festive and Christmassy - because I think it has the possibility to go further.


Final thoughts:  I love this only slightly less than the India's Original Masala Chai from day 2.  The Vanilla is a nice variation - but it does mess with the perfect spice balance that Day 2 had.  Still - an AMAZING cup of spiced tea.  Love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice