Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 8 Elderflower Strawberry and Rose Infusion

 Shame on me - I forgot to write up my review yesterday!




Alright, so when I read the name of the tea - I was NOT excited.  I'm not the biggest fan of either Elderflower or strawberry in my teas.  The whole thing sounded like it was going to be cloyingly floral and possibly horribly sweet.


I made the cup according to the directions and added no milk.

My first sip was like wrapping my mouth around a flower field.  Dear GOD there was SO MUCH FLORAL!!!  I nearly coughed.  It was overwhelming.  However, I learned my lesson well from Andrew Zimmern and his show Bizarre Foods - mainly that you can't judge anything from the first taste because often that first taste is your palate and your brain getting shocked away from the expectations your eyes and nose have given you.  The SECOND bite/taste is far more accurate.  So, I took a second and third sips - and the floral tamed (thank god).  After the third sip, I think I was getting the actual flavor of the tea and honestly, it was mostly apples.  The start fragrance before the sip is all elderflower, the top note is all apple, the mid note is hibiscus with the added sweetness of a peek of strawberry, and the end note is rose and rosehip with the aftertaste going back to the elderflower.


Final thoughts: it wasn't a bad cup, but it was too floral and too sweet for me to buy for myself.  Still, I can see it being a big hit at a garden party.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice