Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 6 Genmaicha



 When I opened my tea today, I smiled when I saw the flavor, but I didn't immediately make myself a cup.  I've had many genmaicha blends before and knew that I simply wasn't in the mood for that flavor.  So, I put the bag back in its little pouch and went about my day.


At 11pm, after a full day of D&D, I decided I wanted a cup of something warm as my roommate and I sat down to continue our journey through all the Hobbit and Lord of the Ring extended cut versions in story chronology order.  That's when I remembered, oh hey!  I still have today's advent tea!  And right then, genmaicha sounded like exactly the warm toasty flavor I was craving.


I was not disappointed.  


The roasted brown rice in this blend is such a delicious toasty note, and the green tea in this blend isn't at all grassy.  The write up is correct, it is on the sweeter side.  The slight sweetness of the green tea plus the toasty note from the rice made this pair perfectly with a little korean creme filled sandwich cookie I decided to nibble on with my tea.  It made the beginning of the movie utterly delightful.

Even without the cookie pairing, I've had a lot of genmaicha in my day, and this was one of the better blends.  The roasted rice flavor is stronger than many blends, but in that strength comes a distinct rice flavor instead of the muddled starchy toast that some other blends offer.


Final thoughts: The next time I re-stock my genmaicha, this will be a serious contender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice