Tea Review: Kenyan Earl Grey by Jus Tea

 This is the second blend from a variety three pack that I'm trying.  The first was African Chai - which I really enjoyed.  This Earl Grey variation uses the same Kenyan black tea as the base as was used in the Chai, so I had high hopes.


When I opened the tin, the bergamot hit me in the face like a wall - and it made me smile with how delicious it smelled. 


A surprising twist from the tin was that, even though it is a black tea, the tin suggests only a three minute steep in boiling water instead of the more traditional 5 minute.  I wasn't sure I would get enough flavour from a black tea with only a three minute steep.  Hence, the first time I brewed it, I did a 5 minute steep.

After the 5 minute steep, the tea DID exhibit a few tells flavour wise of an oversteep.  Thankfully, it wasn't a full oversteep disaster that ruined my cuppa - but it did make me try the tin directions for a three minute steep on my second brew.  Also thankfully, the 5 min oversteep didn't turn it into a tannin monster.  Instead, the tea overpowered the bergamot and was very in your face with its BLACK TEA flavour - meaning, it required a bit of cream to be more pleasant on my palate.  

My second attempt with this blend was a three minute steep - and oh what a difference those two minutes make on this blend!!

First of all, look how dark the tea is after only ONE minute of steeping!!  Isn't that crazy?!!  The leaf isn't even finished unfurling and already there is SO MUCH color!


After the full three minutes of steeping, this is what you get.  The balance of tea and bergamot is SO MUCH more pleasant on the three minute steep.  The bergamot is far more floral and delicate and in comparison made the bergamot in the five minute steep almost taste slightly scalded or burnt.  The cuppa still takes cream super well, but on this steep it tasted more like a luxurious addition and less of a tool to save the tea.  Cream brings out the floral notes in an entirely different way, and stays delicate without giving the tea more weight which creaming can sometimes do.


Verdict: DELICIOUS.  In my top five Earl Grey variations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice