Tea Review: Picard Blend Black Tea by Plum Deluxe

 In case you didn't know - I am a big Star Trek fan - especially Next Generation and DS9.  Picard is, in fact, my very favorite Captain.  I mean, how could he NOT be?  So, when Plum Deluxe targeted me with this fan blend, I tried to resist buying it.... and was successful for all of 30 minutes.


If you are looking for a traditional Earl Grey - this is NOT your cuppa.  If you don't like pecans, this is also NOT your cuppa.  If you are a fan of Lady Grey blends and you enjoy pecans - then look no further, this is the cuppa for you!


The black tea they've used in the blend is a little dry on the mouth when taken straight, but it takes cream VERY well.  The cornflower is just as prevalent in this as in a Lady Grey blend, but I quite enjoy that added floral touch.  The Bergamot is not as strong in this blend as in a traditional Earl Grey, but it is present and as always, adds depth to the mid notes of the blend.  On the nose and on the tongue, the most dominant flavour in the blend is the pecan.  Pecan isn't a flavour I usually have in my tea, so it took some getting used to - but once I was halfway through my first cup I was very much enjoying the flavour.  It makes the tea super nutty and deepens the flavour.  The pecan taste is less raw pecan and more toasted pecan - which is likely the combination of the pecan and the black tea, but it really works for me.



It's a pretty dark blend, but it takes cream exceptionally well.  However, a word of warning on your cream - if you are the type to use flavoured coffee creamers in your tea, be aware that this blend will let the flavour of your creamer shine through so keep that in mind when adding your flavours.

The last part of the flavour profile that want to talk about is the orange peel.  I admit that I simply LOVE orange peel in my tea.  It is the most superior of all citrus on my palate.  So, it should come as no surprise that I enjoy the orange peel in this blend as well.  However, for those who are not the biggest orange peel fans, please know that the peel in this blend is far less dominant here than in most blends where it makes an appearance.  It peeks through on the front note, hides under the toasty pecan in the mid note, and then appears again in the finish to help wipe away any vestiges of tannin aftertaste the tea might have left without the peel being there.  If you want to heighten the citrus flavour and lessen the toasty pecan notes, a touch of sweet cream added to the cup accomplishes this nicely.


This blend would be AMAZING accompanying a slice of pecan or bourbon pecan pie.  It pairs super well with shortbread but stay away from lemon cookies as the lemon and the orange peel fight.  An oat cake pairing heightens the toasty pecan flavor, and pairing this with a maple pecan scone or welsh cake is like creating an amazing savory pecan pie in your mouth - aka DIVINE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice