Tea Review: Metropolitan by August Uncommon Tea


 When I opened the package, the immediate nose on the dry tea blend was very strong and very sweet plum.  When the water first hit the leaf, the plum faded into the background behind the suddenly very strong clove, but as the leaf opened the aroma became more bergamot and blackberry.  It was a very interesting progression.



The plum is present both on the top note and the final note, and I enjoy that it is a tarter plum than some other teas I've had with plum who go instead for the cloyingly sweet side of the plum.  The tarter plum pairs nicely with the nice assam that they've used in this blend.



For as dark as the brew turned after the 5 min steep, I expected more tannin and bitterness, but instead the end note is a mix of clove and citrus peel with a milder less tannin filled finish.  I think my favorite part is that in the mid note when my mouth is full of the liquid, I can really taste the nutmeg and the mallow flower which is not a combination I would have thought I'd like (since I tend not to enjoy tea with a heavy mallow flower profile).



I think they've named this tea well, as it does feel like a city tea and not a more pastoral blend.  It is well suited to conversation with a friend on a patio or terrace overlooking a city street since I think it's a strong enough flavor to stand up to the city fragrances of car exhaust or smog or the like.


Side note:  I suspect that for those of you who enjoy dirtying your tea (aka adding a shot of coffee), that this blend would make for an interesting dirty cuppa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice