Tea Review: Ginger Peach White Tea by The Republic of Tea

 I was gifted with a beautiful hand curated collection of teas from The Republic of Tea and this is the first flavor I'm trying from the collection.

First off, before we even get to the tea itself, I have to comment on the packaging.  The feel of the super slick wrapper is tactilely satisfying to a surprising degree.  I seriously stood there while the water boiled after I'd taken the tea bag out and just rubbed the two sides of the wrapper together - only my kettle beeping brought me out of it.  It was lovely.


So, the package says to only steep the tea for 30-60 seconds.  I tried the tea after 60 seconds and while the fragrance of peach had fully infused into the water, I didn't find any actual flavor.  Now, I know for a fact that my palate is far more keyed to Green, Oolong, and Black flavors - but still, it just tasted like water.

I decided to give the steep a bit more time and did a full 3 minutes as though it were a Green.  The result was that I could then fully taste the peach and ginger, but I also had more tannin than I like as I had technically over steeped it.  Thankfully, just a touch of sweetener (about 1/2 a teaspoon) cut the tannin right out.



The color never darkened, but of course white tea never does, so I wasn't expecting any real color.

In the end, it tasted a bit like the liquid version of a delicate fancy peach and ginger small batch fruit preserve which..... my Mum loved but just isn't (no pun intended) my cup of tea.  That being said, of all the peach teas I've had, I enjoyed this one the most because it tasted least like fake peach flavoring.

If I was in the mood for something on the sweeter side with just a bit of ginger bite - this would be a strong contender.  Tonight though..... I gave the rest of the cup to Mum who.... LOVED IT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice