Tea Review: Breathless by August Uncommon Tea

 The front of the package bills this as a boozy black tea with white chocolate and prune. Well... I don't get the boozy bit at all.


 

The white chocolate is the dominant fragrance in the bouquet of the dry leaves and it adds a sweetness to the brew that means this does NOT need any sugar added to the cup for my palate. However, it is thankfully not TOO sweet.
 

 
Do I taste the prune?...... *sips again* ...... only when I'm really looking for it. Mostly, I think this tea reminds me a bit of a plum pudding..... which I guess means that it does have a sort of boozy prune profile after all....just... in a very specific combination.
 

 
The back says notes of armagnac which I maybe get? I think of armagnac being a plum and vanilla taste though I have had some armagnac that have more of a caramel and burnt orange taste and this tea has a bit of plum and maybe some burnt orange... so that could be their armagnac claim there. The back also says prune - which I've already addressed, dark cherry - I get more cherry in the nose than the taste but if I REALLY search for it, I can taste it on the end note and the aftertaste. The last claim on the back is whipped cream.... uh, no. I don't get that at all. Yes, the white chocolate adds a creaminess to the tea along with the sweetness... but it doesn't translate to a whipped cream taste for me.

 
Because of the sweetness, I have a hard time thinking of what this would pair well with. The flavors in this are bold and strong and I think would fight with a lot of foods. The one thing I could think to match it with is the Russian Gingerbread with Orange Filling that I got in my Russian Yum box a few months ago. Both the tea and the snack have really strong flavors - but they're complimentary and so they each break up the other and give a break to your palate without getting overpowered by the other. It's a nice pairing - but in all honesty, the tea doesn't NEED anything to pair with it. It's nice on it's own straight off the steep with no additions or sides.
 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice