Why I still love the Harry Potter Books

 Recently, I friend of mine asked on his Facebook for the opinions from his circle on whether or not it is possible to continue to be a fan of someone's art even if you learn something about the artist that makes you despise them as a person.  J.K. Rowling, Orsen Scott Card, Bill Cosby, and Kevin Spacey were all used as examples.

This was my response:


I understand taking a social stand to boycott an artist in order to voice your displeasure against their behavior or opinions or what have you - but I think my perspective as an Art History student skews my view on the issue far more than it does for others.
I know from my studies that if the art is quality enough, than regardless of how hated or despicable the artist may be or have been in their own time, their art will continue to resonate across the ages. The literary works of the monsters of humanity still cause ripples in society generations after their deeds are forgotten.
Because I have learned this truth, I refuse to deprive myself of quality art created in my age solely based on the character of the artist. I don't want to be one of those people who gets laughed at in history for not appreciating the genius of a Van Gough level talent because I was too hung up on their drug use. (a historic example, not used to lessen the errors of the current artists you have used as examples)
Art is not the artist.
What I take from a book/ painting/ movie may be a profound personal truth that the artist/creator never intended to be there. What moves me in a work of art may in fact be exactly the OPPOSITE of what was intended by the artist - and that's ok. That is the danger of putting art out into the public - the artist runs the risk of others "misunderstanding" their work. Everyone gets different things out of each work.
Also, you can be a fan of the art without being a fan of the artist even outside of any controversial behavior - OS Card, to use a previous example. I love the Ender series, but HATE the Women of Genesis series - I love Dali's early work, but the paintings he did around the Spanish Civil War era make me physically ill. So - I'm an Ender fan but not a Card fan, I'm a fan of certain works of Dali, but not a Dali fan.
I know that many people have difficulty separating the artist from the art - they can not appreciate a performance without it being tainted by what they know of the performer. I find it terribly interesting that so many have a difficulty with this when it comes to artists but not sports figures. It's a strange double standard in my book, but that's a whole different discussion - and I acknowledge that many have issues with it all across the board.
At any rate, perhaps besides just my art history education, but also my studies in theatre - I know that I am NOT AT ALL the parts I play on stage. I know that I am NOT AT ALL many of the characters I write. I know that I can sing a song as sad as though I have a broken heart even when I am bursting at the seams with excitement. Yes, art can be a way to reveal your true heart and the emotions you don't know how to express, but art can also be the most beautiful lie and the most convincing mask. The complication comes when the observer thinks they are seeing your truth when you are showing them your mask and then they feel betrayed at the duplicity.
The trick is to remember that no matter what the artist was presenting, if you saw a truth or a beauty in it - then that truth is still there for you even if the artist was lying. The only person who can take that beauty and truth away from you is your own self.
If your conscience won't allow you to support an artist with your funds - than by all means, act according to your conscience. You should absolutely be true to yourself in that respect - Libraries are a great way to enjoy the art without giving a cent to the artist.
But, don't let your conscience rob you of something that brings you joy, drives away the dark, or soothes your soul. You can absolutely find a way to enjoy the art without supporting the artist if that's what you need to do - and no one should give you shit for continuing to like the art of someone who has been revealed to be a despicable human being because the art will continue to stand long after the despicable human being is dead and buried.
That's one of the things that art does best.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnum & Mason Tea Advent Calendar - Day 2 Jade Oolong

Tea Review: Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai by Trader Joe's

Tea Forte Advent Caledar: Day 15 - African Solstice